Saturday, February 27, 2016

Small Business Saturday


Earlier in the month, I visited my hair stylist, Kimberly at her salon, Modern Concepts, to spend some time talking with her about her business and how she become a small business owner. Her passion, her drive and her commitment to her clients really shines through with all she does.
 

Shampoo station

Gabrielle: When you were growing up, did you always want to become a hairdresser? If not, what did you want to be instead? 
Kimberly: When I was growing up, I always knew I would own a business. I did not know what it would be, but I always pictured myself as a self sufficient, well dressed woman ready to make things happen! 

Gabrielle:  Who did you look up to growing up? 
Kimberly: I really can't say I looked up to anyone specific. However, I always thought stylists were so cool, because they had full access to all the newest & best beauty products on the market! 

Gabrielle:  What was your very first job? Did that teach you anything that you still use today? 
Kimberly: For my first job, I was a bus person at my friend's family owned restaurant. I was the worst bus person ever! After working at a restaurant, I realized how hard it is to work in that field, and to this day have the utmost respect for every employee in the restaurant industry.

Kim and Shari's stations

Gabrielle: When did you realize you wanted to own your own salon? 
Kimberly: I realized I wanted to own my own salon after working for many owners who did not treat employees and clients properly. I wanted to change all that, and be in control of how people would be treated. I am proud of the fact that clients, product sales reps and others who just walk in feel welcomed and at home. They always thank me for such a warm welcome, and that makes me feel really good! 

Gabrielle: What has been your greatest challenge of owning a salon? What has been the greatest perk of owning a salon? 
Kimberly: The greatest challenge has been finding quality, hard working employees who possess a great work ethic. The perks are meeting such amazing people, lifelong friendships, access to all new and exciting products and services, and of course being my own boss.
Decor in the waiting area

Gabrielle: Has there been a turning point in your career, where you realized you have made it? 
Kimberly: There hasn't been a moment when I "realized I made it", but the moment I realized this was really happening, was when people started walking in off the street, and calling for appointments. They could go ANYWHERE- but they chose me. That was a really cool feeling! 

Gabrielle:  How would you describe the overall concept of the salon? What inspired you to decorate the salon in such a fun way? (BTW, I’ve always loved the giant Jackie O.  Print!) 
Kimberly: The overall concept, was to offer modern salon services in a non threatening atmosphere decorated in a colorful manner which is appealing to women as well as men. I personally love fun, colorful decor and its fun to be able to express myself through the salon's interior design

Audrey and Kim at the front desk
Gabrielle:  As an entrepreneur, what advice would you give to any young women wanting to start how own business? 
Kimberly: I would advise them to take a few business workshops, and seek help from their local small business advocates. They are specifically there to help you, and are very happy to do so! 

Gabrielle:  Modern Concepts just celebrated its 8th Birthday, What are your goals for the next 8 years? Is there anything you want to do different? 
Kimberly: The goals for the next 8 years are to continue to stay on top of current trends and services, make time for more education, and continue to help my clients look and feel their best through every phase of their lives! I'm not sure what I will do differently, I just try to live in the moment, and take it day by day!! 

Products Modern Concepts sell

Gabrielle:  Its notoriously known, that everyone always tells their hairdressers EVERYTHING- what has been the craziest thing you have heard over the years? 
Kimberly: Oh yes!!! This is definitely so true! Well, I really cannot reveal the crazy things I have heard, for I give my word to keep them secret. But I can tell you that sometimes I cannot believe what I am hearing! I am honored that people feel comfortable enough to tell me ultra personal things that they might be embarrassed to tell others. I do not judge anyone, I just try to encourage them to do their best and be the best they can be in this life. No one is perfect, and that is perfectly okay! 

Two of the many Maneki-neko around the salon that bring in luck
If you ever find yourself down the shore and looking for a professional, sophisticated and fun hairstylists, look no further than Kimberly and her staff at Modern Concepts.

Shari & Kimberly of Modern Concepts Salon

A huge thanks to Kimberly and Shari for letting me photograph them and for answering my questions. 

Join me next month for another installment in Small Business Saturday.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment