Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Social Media Detox

It's no secret that we rely on social media ALOT. Gen Xers are on multiple social media sites and we are constantly setting up the perfect photo to post on instagram and facebook, complete with the perfect filter added;  we try to catch the funniest video to post on Snapchat; and we are constantly trying to write the best statement for Facebook. When did our lives on social media become better than our actual physical lives? I wanted to do something to change how I view social media. I did some research and I found out that a Social media Detox is on a lot of peoples minds. Check out Huffington Post to see what they have to say about this Social Media Detox.I decided I wanted to try this.

This past week, I was off from work and I knew this would be the perfect week to do a Social Media Detox. I wanted to get a lot accomplished and I wanted to get rid of some distractions so the first thing I did was to delete my most used social media apps- Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. I don't spend a lot of time on social media, but I figured this would be a good way to get a lot accomplished. I had a list of things I wanted to get organized for the New Year and I knew I tend to get 'lost' on social media. I find myself when I am bored, I will peruse these and constantly try and refresh them. After a while, I would see the same posts and I would think to myself- "What the heck am I doing?!" I realized that I could have been doing something else in those 20 minutes I spent on social media.

After I deleted the apps, I had the freedom and time to complete my lengthy to do list. When I wanted to take a break from organizing, I didn't immediately go to my old fallback- social media. I checked the news or I simply didn't even pick up the phone. I realized that after a few days I was able to stay motivated for longer. Being productive is one of my new years goals. I try very hard to be productive and organized but sometimes social media creeps in gets in the way.

This was a refreshing way to end the year. I hope to continue this throughout the year. Social media is a great way for me to stay connected with friends, reach out to other bloggers (on Instagram) for SnkrPost and just to stay up to date with my favorite celebrities. I will be more mindful every time I think to click on any social media and I hope you all too!



No comments:

Post a Comment