Tuesday, January 26, 2016

#blizzard2016

I was pretty excited for #blizzard2016 and to get "Snowed In" with Eric. 
This is just a fun little recap of my wonderfully simple and fun weekend.

I arrived to Eric's on Friday night after work and I was greeted by a delicious dinner that he made for me (along with some help from Nonno's.) I was so hungry and so excited to kick off our snowed in weekend. Dinner was promptly eaten and atlas,  no photos had the opportunity to be taken. We settled in to watch some of the The Affair.  Eric got me hooked on this show and we have been binge watching it each time we are together. (if you aren't watching this,  check it out,  there are so many twists and turns and suspense!! So so good!!) After only watching it for an hour,  I promptly fell asleep as the snow started to fall. I went to bed praying that the power would stay on and we wouldn't get too much snow. (I guess getting one of the prayers answered is better than none.)


We awoke Saturday to A LOT of snow (approximately 13 inches, with a total of 24 inches!). It was so beautiful to see everything pristine and perfect. This is my favorite time right after a snowstorm. Eric set out early to get a head start on this shoveling business. I was the cheerleader on the inside with Penelope.  She was very curious about the snow since she's a tropical climate bird,  she's never seen snow and she quickly made an assumption that she doesn't like it. I watched as the boys shoveled the snow. They did quick work clearing the front steps, sidewalk, driveway and the sidewalk by the street. The snow looked heavy & wet and it seemed to be never ending on Saturday. After the boys came in,  I made them cinnamon vanilla French toast. (recipe to follow!! ) We settled down for a relaxing afternoon of cake making, watching The Departed (as usual I fell asleep within an hour only seeing the beginning and the end of the movie) and then I started dinner.


For dinner, I made turkey tenderloins in orange juice along with rice and green beans. This was the first time I was making dinner for 3 other people. I was a little nervous but excited. I've seen mama make this a bunch of times and I knew this would be a simple dinner for me to prepare. It was a perfect dinner after a long day of shoveling. The boys smelled the food and got very excited. They set the table while I finished up the dinner. Everything, miraculously, came out perfect and at the same time. We all sat down at the table, popped a bottle of blueberry champagne and dug into the food. I assumed from the silence at the meal, the boys loved it and THEY DID! They even went back for seconds. We ate, laughed, had a great meal. They all raved how good it was! I was so proud of myself for making a great meal. We ate cake for dessert and played Clue. It was a perfect ending to a snowy Saturday. Eric and I watched more of the Affair and after one episode we decided to put on our favorite family- the Belcher's of Bob's Burgers. I had such a great snow day and I couldn't wait until tomorrow.


I slept in on Sunday and I awoke to 8 more inches of snow that had fallen throughout the night. I don't know if it was the fact I've been inside since Friday or my five year old self was eager to go out and play, I got dressed in my snow gear and dragged Eric outside to shovel. The boys laughed at how eager I was to go out and shovel. ( I don't have any photos of me actually shoveling but I swear I did!) Thank goodness the snow was light and fluffy, I could actually lift it. I didn't unleash my inner child until both Eric and I got to the driveway. This snow was not the perfect 'snowball' texture but I still made it work. Eric quickly retaliated and it ended up in a full out snowball fight. I favored the 'premade' snowballs from the plow and Eric opted for taking a shovelfuls and tossing them my way. I tried my hardest to tackle Eric but Eric always ended up tackling me. Between our tackles and the flying snowballs- we got the driveway shoveled and cleared the entrance to the driveway.  The snowplow made literally a 3 foot wall blocking our driveway! We cleared off the cars and then took a walk down the street to see how the streets were. Everything looked so pretty and picturesque.



After our walk, the boys were making Brunch and we all ate together. I ventured out to see how the streets were. I took it slow and steady and Lux (the Elentra) did great. After a quick stop at Walmart, I headed back home for the football games, studying and dinner. We ended the night watching The Affair before promptly falling asleep. 

I had the best snowed-in weekend. We ate (A LOT), laughed (A LOT) and shoveled (A LOT) of snow. I think this was a great first snow weekend and I hate to say this, This weekend kinda makes me wish for more snow.

How do you spend your snowed in weekend?



No comments:

Post a Comment