Friday, August 21, 2015

Namaste not in bed- Yoga for all.

Last night I had my private yoga class and that was the inspiration behind this post. So many people want to try yoga but they are afraid because it looks too hard.Looks can be deceiving sometimes and I hope my guide of the 6 W's and 1 H (who, what,where, wear, why, when and how) of Yoga can help you feel more at ease with trying yoga.


WHO can do yoga?
    Anyone! I recommend yoga to each and every person I meet. It is so beneficial to your body mind connection.
    I practice yoga because I needed a way to relax. Really- I did not know how to fully relax before yoga. Yoga has so many benefits to your mind and body. I have been dealing with a lot of digestive issues recently and my instructor, Adrienne tries to tell us the connection when we are in a pose to what this pose is helping. I always feel so refreshed and relaxed after a class.

WHAT is yoga?
    Yoga is a system of exercises for mental and physical health and a Hindu philosophy that teaches a person to experience inner peace by controlling the body and mind (source)
    My definition of yoga is a being centered, both in mind and body, relaxed and ready to fully accept where this practice will take you. 
WHERE can you practice yoga?
    Anywhere! That is the absolutely best thing about it. There are yoga studios, gyms, and your personal home.
    I personally have tried a lot of different yoga classes before I fell in love with the current classes I am taking now. I have been taking a class at clubhouse in the senior development in town. Adrienne comes in once a week for an hour class (and also does other classes besides yoga here too) and I absolutely love this class. Most of these women live in the senior community and there are a few (like myself) who are not from the community. This class has about 10 people at max and the instructor has a calming presence and a soothing voice. I have also been having private yoga sessions at my instructor’s home studio once a week, since I have been sick. It’s a nice way to end a crazy week.
        I tend to like the smaller, more personalized classes (think less than 10 people) so I can get the added benefit of the extra attention.
    One of my favorite yoga classes (besides the ones I am currently taking) I took was at a high-end fitness club (on a date!). This will forever be a favorite of mine because the class was candlelight yoga. It was not only beautiful but I remember meditating for at least a half hour- it was amazing. I never thought I would pay to lay on the floor to meditate! I felt totally relaxed and as if nothing could bother me.




WHEN can you do this?
    Anytime! Before work, before bed, after work, at night…. Anytime you can fit it into your schedule.
    As of recently, I have been practicing yoga, once a week for an hour. I sometimes mediate or try a few poses when I am home on the days I am not going to yoga.

WHY I started practicing yoga?
    After my whole debacle with my appendix, I needed to build some muscle and start to regain my strength back. I started going back to the gym, but I always felt discouraged that I wasn’t back to my old self. My mom suggested I signup for a yoga class since I always loved it but never found an instructor I loved.
 My parents went to an open house around the corner from our home and ended up being the only people there. They started talking to realtor and found out she has a personal studio and teaches yoga. (((the stars aligned that day))) I was able to take a complimentary class to see if I liked her style. I fell in love that night especially when we did meditation and she read a script that dealt with Picasso's Blue Period. (The script can be found in THIS book) 
Especially now since I was sick again, I have been utilizing yoga to become more centered and more relaxed. I am more mindful of my thoughts and how I feel. I am more in tune with my body and feel more at peace with myself.

 
HOW can you start?
     Google 'yoga studios' in your area, look for local instructors and ask your friends. Today is the best time to start something new. Research, try different types of classes and see what is the best fit for you. 
You do not have to know all the poses and the lingo to start- you will gradually pick it up. Your instructor will not expect everyone in the class to know everything- take the time in the beginning of the class to introduce yourself to the instructor and let them know you are a beginner. There is no shame in admitting that. Even the best yogi's started somewhere as a beginner. If your nervous, grab a friend and try out a class together!

What do you WEAR?
    I personally use my yoga capris (most of the time) for yoga. I like to wear loose fitting tops and yoga capris or pants. I do not like to be constricted when I am trying flipped dog or crow poses.
    I find the cutest yoga clothes at T.J. Maxx! They have such cute patterned pants ( I am still trying to get into this trend of bright colorful pants!) and adorable tops. You can see two great options below for yoga!

Partner Tree pose with Adrienne

I can't finish a post about yoga without giving a shout-out to my awesome instructor, Adrienne! She has such a passion for personal training and yoga. If you are around my area someday, be sure to check her out and see the passion for yourself. (She is an amazing photographer too!)

Go on with 'Yogi'-selves and try yoga- You never know what amazing things you can accomplish without trying.

XX Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment