Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Popcorn, Monsters and Ticket Stubs




There is no secret that I do not like scary things and with Halloween being last month, I had an itch to see something sorta scary. I like kids scary movies that are cute but also a little scary. Eric and I went to see some not so scary movies- Hotel Transylvania 2 and Goosebumps. We thought it would be fun to review the movies from our own perspectives.

Hotel Transylvania 2

Gabrielle's Review//
I saw the first Hotel Transylvania a few years ago and I fell in love with the cast of monsters and the story behind it. I had high hopes for the sequel and it did not disappoint. The lovable cast of monsters and humans alike were invited back to the Hotel to celebrate Dennis' birthday. The "Drac pack" is back for a new adventure to try to teach Dennis how to be a monster. The zany antics kept me laughing the whole time. You can't help but love this movie

Kids, Adults and everyone in between will love this movie- its action, comedy and even a little love story. The hilarious voice actors- Adam Sandler, Andy Samburg, Kevin James and Selena Gomez- make this film. Adam Sandler's character Dracula actually looks like him!! I'm curious to see if they will make another one!

Eric's Review//
      Having never seen Hotel Transylvania 1, I didn’t really know what to expect when it came to the sequel. Don’t worry, you don’t necessarily need to see the first one to enjoy to second. Knowing it was a children’s movie had me skeptical (I’m a 31 year old man) but the animation and the constant barrage of jokes kept me entertained from the opening credits.

        Hotel Transylvania is a hotel run by a lovable staff of monsters. Starring comedy heavy weights like Adam Sandler and David Spade its no wonder this movie had no slow spots. It moved from one hysterical and heart warming scene to the next. Ultimately, what made the movie so appealing to me was the story line. It displayed the timeless bond between family members. It doesn’t matter if you’re 10 years old going on 30 or 30 years old going on 10, Hotel Transylvania is a hit from beginning to end. I just hope they have a room for me at the hotel.

Overall review//
 We both really liked it and it was a perfect film for October and Halloween.

Goosebumps

Gabrielle's Review//
As a kid, I grew up reading Goosebumps books, watching the scary movies and tv shows. I was super excited when I heard there was going to be a movie! I didn't know what to expect with this movie, I was just hoping all the favorite characters would be in it- Slappy the dummy, the abominable snowman, Fifi the vampire poodle, the lawn gnomes. The movie itself was cute, very appropriate to watch on Halloween. The story line was a bit far fetched for this 27 year old but as R. L. Stine said, every story has three parts- a beginning, a middle and the twist. I didn't see the TWIST coming but it ending being a fun easy going film.

I think younger kids would like this more than the generation that actually read the R.L. Stine books. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. The jury's out on this one. 

Eric's Review//
  I’m not going to sugar coat this one. Jack Black, definitely did this movie for the pay check. The movies run time was only about an hour and a half but it felt like an eternity. Jack Black, who plays Goosebumps author R.L. Stein,  is the only bright spot in an otherwise morbid, black hole of poorly shot scenes and under enthusiastically delivered lines.

        I may not be the best reviewer for this because I’d never read any of the Goosebumps books but I could only imagine a hardcore fan would have been outraged. Goosebumps—a book that should have stayed on the shelf

Overall Review//
We should have waited to see this on Netflix.

As you can see, Eric and I had different opinions about Goosebumps but each time at the movies we had a great time! We also cannot wait for The Good Dinosaur, Sisters and Star Wars.
 
Have you seen any good movies lately? Are you excited for any movies coming up?


No comments:

Post a Comment